If you haven't heard of freezer paper stenciling, here's a few of the sites where I read about it:
MADE
The Artful Parent
Make Baby Stuff
Make It & Love It
Most places use fabric paint, but its always mentioned that you can use acrylic paint so I decided to try that first since I already had some. In order to make it not wash out though you need to mix it with Textile Medium. It also helps the paint not be as stiff, thus more comfortable to wear. Mine was 33cents at Ben Franklin Crafts.
So for my first test I just found a simple image from a clipart site, cut it out of freezer paper, ironed it on, painted and this is what I got.
| (Before washing) |
| after washing - they look the same... |
I actually had some trouble getting all the edges to iron all the way down but I just pushed it down while I painted that area and it turned out fine.
I am going to try this with fabric paint next because even with the textile medium it's a bit hard. But if this was for anything other than baby clothes that would be right up against the skin I wouldn't really care.

I got some fabric paint yesterday. I am going to try to do a couple one boy, one girl so that I have one of each for the hospital. Now I just have to figure out the images.
ReplyDelete