Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Navajo Tacos!

Navajo tacos is a recipe that I love, it's a unique take on tacos. Like normal tacos, there are a lot of ways to make it, and you can add any combination of toppings that you like. If you look online there are loads of recipes, some with 6 ingredients, some with 20. You can also make the dough from scratch, or buy pizza dough (that's what I do). For the dough you can also fry it, bake it, or grill it.

I bought a pizza dough ball at Whole Foods for $2, and then got hamburger, pinto beans, green onions, white onion, cheddar cheese, and salsa. I fried the dough in a little oil, but I'd rather have baked it or grilled it, but frying is the fastest way. And I don't use a recipe, just kinda make all the ingredients and load it on top.



Here's one recipe I found online:



NAVAJO TACOS
 

4 c. pinto beans, cooked
1 bunch scallions
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 lbs. hamburger
1 sm. jar picante sauce
Lettuce, tomatoes, cheese

INDIAN BREAD:

4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. water
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar

Fry onions and bell pepper and then set aside. Brown hamburger and drain. Then combine hamburger, onions and peppers and add picante sauce, mix well and let simmer for 20 minutes or until desired consistency.Indian Bread - mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl and divide dough into 12 equal parts and pat out each one on a floured board - make it round like a tortilla - meanwhile heat lard in a skillet (about 1/4 inch) and dip each one into lard and brown on each side, then put tortilla in a paper lined bowl.
Then take Indian Bread, put meat mixture and fold over like a soft taco and add lettuce, tomatoes and cheese as desired.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been wanting to make these recently actually. I'd love to bake or grill the bread too...but how do you do that??? That's the main thing that keeps me from making this, I'd prefer not to have the fried stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I've been wanting these too. Mmm. Can't you just bake it like a pizza, but just the dough? Seems like it should work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. One of my favorite treats of going to the fair as a kid. Navajo Tacos with honey-butter. mmm.

    ReplyDelete