Sunday, January 3, 2010

Travel Photos - taking great, timeless photos

Hello again! It's Jules, it's been a few weeks since I posted - thanks for my sisters and the guest writers that took over my spot. I spent an amazing three weeks traveling throughout SE Asia for my International MBA program. I always love looking back over my photos, and I notice that there are also those few that stand out, those that really show the essence of the place that you visited. I hate photos that look really touristy or unartistic, and aren't something you want to look back at many years later.

When I own a home and can decorate it, I want to have photographs everywhere. Traveling is inspiring and I want to continually remind myself about the experiences and what they taught me.

It's tough to take great photos when traveling, and it takes a little more thought to look for a different perspective than to just point and shoot. So I'll try to show some examples of mine, and also quote some expert opinion.

Taking pictures of yourself and travel mates


I like to have pictures of myself in famous places, but I don't think its necessary to stand in front of everything you see. Also, I've noticed that too often you or others looking at the picture look at the subject and not the surroundings. Or you think you look bad and don't want to show it to other people. When I was traveling in Croatia this summer, my friends and I set up this picture, and I love it. We wanted to document how random it was that we were all wearing the same color, so we propped up the camera and put on the timer, then we just let ourselves laugh and be random for the photo. I think it really captured a great moment that is more classic. It would be much more boring if we were just posing and smiling. So be creative!

- Step back, and look at the subject with a different perspective



I have a few pictures of this vibrant market in Dubrovnik, Croatia. But this picture with an ancient arched doorway in the foreground gives it a unique perspective. It offers more scale and replicates more of the actual experience of walking through an old town and finding this colorful market. Before snapping, just look around and see if you could make the photo a little more relevant to show the experience.

- Doorways - don't let them pass by




 I was recently at a friends home for New Years, and her parents had a whole room of images of doorways. I'm not sure if they took them or purchased them, but I always loved doorways and was excited that I had documented them. These images could go in any room and any one would love the silent images. Just make sure you find a unique way to crop it. Perhaps have a bit of the sidewalk or corner, and see how to fit in windows or plants/bikes that may be near the doorway.

- People as subjects, showing the beauty of the culture



I always love the famous travel photographs of people and children smiling at the camera, sharing their culture and life with the photographer, but I've never been brave enough to take a picture like that with anyone knowing. So I tend to take pictures of people involved in their daily lives, and not noticing me taking a quick snap of their life. I think these images are the most appealing though, really showing an image that is unaffected by me.

Most of these photos I have I really just snapped while walking or driving by. They're not always perfect, but a quick crop or some color adjustments really help to make them standout. Just always keep snapping - if it catches your attention and moves you, it will always be memorable to you or others. And try not to get random tourists in the picture!



1 comment:

  1. Hey Jules! Just wanted to drop in and say "hi" and that I LOVE the blog! I came across it via Facebook, and when I'm having a dull day at work, I check in to see what you girls are up to! So keep it up :)

    Great post too. It's been awhile since I've done any extensive travelling, but these photos make me want to take a trip. The best thing about being in a foreign place is definitely people-watching. I agree with you that people as subjects are just as interesting, and provide just as much insight into the area you're traveling in, as the physical landscape. I had a photography teacher tell me to "get low and get close". By moving yourself around, you can come up with some interesting vantage points.

    Just my thoughts! Again, great job with the blog. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete