Friday, January 29, 2010

Boppy Part 2 (Flap Details) & Nursing Cover

This is a continuation of my post Boppy Pillow, with more details on how to use this existing tutorial and adapt it for a flap. I don't have pictures of everything, but luckily took a few that will hopefully explain more clearly.

First, print out and tape together this pattern as instructed.

Now, you want to make a longer pattern to replace the "top zipper portion." You just want it to be a little bit longer so it will overlap with the "bottom zipper portion" several inches.

To make a new pattern take your front pattern piece and line up a piece of paper along the right straight edge. Then trace the outside (left) edge down further. I'd extend it at least an additional 5 inches. This will make your new top piece about 9 inches long on the right size.

So, when you cut out your fabric, instead of your little top piece (pictured) you'll have something like this:
Your 3 pieces:
Then you want to hem the 2 straight edges of your back pieces (where the pocket will open). I folded it over twice so it would leave a clean edge and sewed straight across, probably about 1/2 inch total. Sorry, don't have a pic of this, but look at the last pic in this post to see it completed.

Then line up your front and back pieces right sides together. You'll layer the back 2 pieces, with the larger one on top. You'll have the full piece (my brown spotted one) underneath so you'll be able to make the back pieces line up to the same size as the front. Should look like this with all 3 pinned together. Hope that makes sense...(it keeps flipping this...sorry)

Then just sew about 1/2 inch seam around the outside. Shove in your pillow and you're done!

Here's how mine is when completed. Yours should have more overlap is you use these instructions. Mine is a little shorter since that's all the fabric I had left.
It reminds me of those little bum-flap pajamas and makes me giggle. Fun times.

While we're on the baby page, I wanted to share a great tutorial from Sew Much Ado for a nursing cover. I've made 2 from this tutorial and I love it. So easy and great instructions. Here's the two I made :) Aren't they cute?


*I'm attaching a comment I left below for everyone's reference

I used the Absolutely Cotton fabrics at Hancocks (so not home decor weight). I gave away the pink one and she says it works great - not see-through or anything. I've haven't yet used one for real, but I didn't see a need to use heavier fabric so I didn't :)

As for cost, the supplies are really cheap. My fabric was usually 6.99 a yard I think, but I got it 40% off (that's like $5 for 1.25 yds). The D-rings were about $2 for 2 pairs. The boning is sold by the yard and was about 20 cents. :) (Kinda hard to find, but usually in a box around the notions wall)

So what's that... about $7?
Not bad eh? (and you're left with an extra set of D-rings to make another one!) Plus, you could probably finish this in an hour if you're focused. Sewing the boning in is the only hard/annoying part.

I actually bought one from UdderCovers to see what theirs were like when they were offering one free- just pay shipping. Shipping alone was $8.95, and they're way smaller. Does it even compare? :)

Till next time,

5 comments:

  1. Those nursing covers are so cute. What did it cost you to make them instead of buying them. I thought you showed how to make it bigger great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I bought one and am getting bored of the material. I am interested to know how much this cost you. Also, did you use the heavier decor material?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you. I used the Absolutely Cotton fabrics at Hancocks (so not home decor weight). I gave away the pink one and she says it works great - not see-through or anything. I've haven't yet used one for real, but I didn't see a need to use heavier fabric so I didn't :)

    As for cost, the supplies are really cheap. My fabric was usually 6.99 a yard I think, but I got it 40% off (that's like $5 for 1.25 yds). The D-rings were about $2 for 2 pairs. The boning is sold by the yard and was about 20 cents. :) (Kinda hard to find, but usually in a box around the notions wall)

    So what's that... about $7?
    Not bad eh? (and you're left with an extra set of D-rings to make another one!) Plus, you could probably finish this in an hour if you're focused. Sewing the boning in is the only hard/annoying part.

    I actually bought one from UdderCovers to see what theirs were like when they were offering one free- just pay shipping. Shipping alone was $8.95, and they're way smaller. Does it even compare? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie,
    thanks for posting this...and emailing it to me too. :) I've been wanting to recover my boppy for a while now...at least put a more girlie print on it than what I have.

    ReplyDelete