Hi it's Sizzle Thursday and I am still hooked on stockings. Today I am going to show you a way to turn a cheap pre-made stocking into something unique and pretty. There are so many great stocking ideas out there that maybe your not willing to commit to a certain style (raising hand) or you just need something that is no-sew, quick and easy but still with a homemade touch....and cheap. Here is my solution.
KK has come to our place for Christmas for that last few years so I decided I would make her a stocking of her own for when she is with us for Christmas. I hope you like it Karie!
This is what I started out with:
I picked up a few of these last year from Joann's when they were on 50% off clearance--you can get most Christmas stuff cheap right now esp fabric (s0%off at fabric.com or aboveallfabric.com)--because I put all that time into the one stocking and the rest of us didn't have any. They are only a couple of dollars regular price. They are felt.
The first thing I did it cut a piece of fabric the size of the cuff- all the way around.
I used this to adhere the fabric to the cuff too. You could also use my friend fusible web - I used it too later
Then I added trim with tacky glue. I love this trim. I need to stock up when it is on sale!
The next step is to make templates for the heel and toe.
I used a piece of scratch paper and traced the shape of the stocking then just free handed a heel and toe piece.
I also made a template for the letter.
Then I cut the shapes out of fabric:
Then I cut them out of fusible web (remember trace on paper side with right side down).
Then I ironed the heel, toe and letter in place.
You can trim if your piece is slightly bigger like mine was in this picture. I sewed around the pieces but you don't have to. I just need to sew something...
What a big difference huh?
I think I will add some more trim and embroider the letter but I think I will leave that for the final reveal - Christmas.
Happy Stocking Creating










That's super cute. I need to do something like that because I'm totally uncommitted to what I want. Or if I love the fabric I have (got it for another project that didn't work out) enough to have them for my stockings forever. I was wanting to make these, but tweak it a bit http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/07/his-and-her-scrappy-christmas-stockings.html. Might just have to stick with the brown bags again...
ReplyDeleteAw yay! I have a stocking! And I love it. Thanks C..I mean Sizzle. :P That's really cute. Ritz I love the scrappy examples from your link too!
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of brown bags...which is personally one of my favorite "our family" Christmas traditions...how about we explain it and share other traditions the week of Christmas? Yea, that would be fun.