Wednesday, December 9, 2009

some quick healthly options

Hey everyone, it's KK! I decided to stray from my normal topics and today share one of my favorite recipes. I'm not much of a cook—I don't have much time to do so and since it's just me, it's not usually worth the time to go all out. Every once in a while I'll treat myself to a day in the kitchen and make some recipes I've wanted to try.

Because I like things quick, easy and healthy, I fell in love with Hungry Girl a couple years ago. She doesn't have real cooking qualifications, but, as she advertises, is a normal person who wants to eat healthy while still enjoying EATING! Yes, we all love it...Well at least I do. So she takes popular recipes and makes healthy alternatives. She's becoming more and more popular and I'm excited for her because it makes some of the products she talks about more available. I have both cookbooks now and have been introduced to some awesome food and products through this site.

I had tried this recipe from Hungry Girl for chicken breaded in Fiber One crumbs and baked (it's really really good) a while ago, but thought it needed a sort of dipping sauce or something. HG talks a lot about the Laughing Cow cheese wedges and in one of the HG daily emails I stumbled upon a cheese sauce that I wanted to try. Sooo after thinking about it for like, oh I don't know, two weeks, I finally got all of the stuff to give it a try.

I did the chicken first, since I had done that before and knew the routine. And while that baked I put together the sauce. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't think I'd use much. After finishing, I (don't laugh) used the lid of an empty peanut jar to be my sauce dish and still had a bit left over. I was steaming my regular side of broccoli (seriously I'm kinda obsessed these days) and thought, "Hey! I wonder how it would work for a cheese broccoli recipe." So I combined the rest of the sauce with my broccoli and sprinkled some remaining Fiber One crumbs on top. (I think this idea could work well for a baked broccoli casserole.)

The result:

Mmmm...yummy huh :P. It was actually really good for dipping the chicken strips. For the broccoli, however, I think I'm so used to just having it plain steamed that the sauce seemed a little much. The sauce is kinda just off on what I wanted it to taste like, so that might require some tweaking...although I'm not sure how.

No comments:

Post a Comment