Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Stocking ITCH

Every year I get the itch to make stockings - quilted stockings, applique stockings, knitted stockings. I want them all. It is hard for me to settle on one kind I like. There are so many cute ones everywhere I look. These two were from Garnet Hill


Last year, I saw some darling knitted snockings online so I decided it was time to learn to knit. I bought a book and started my first knitting project ever. I used the five knitting needles and knitted in the round. Thinking back I can't believe I did it as a FIRST knitting project, it isn't perfect but it was fun and I learned something new --of course I forgot but I know I can do it now.



This is the book I bought to help me. You can get it on Amazon.

The year before I got made this one (below) It is from a Bucilla felt stocking kit. All the pieces come printed out and you cut them out, add sequins, embrodiery, stuff them and you have a heritage stocking. The detailing is amazing but it was a LOT of work. It wasn't as hard as it looks because the instructions were really great but it took a long time. My husband wants me to make all the kids one so I have to get started on #2.





Here are some other pictures of the detail.







All the stuff you need is included.

What type of stockings are you drawn to?

3 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find a stocking pattern i like. I want one that's kinda quilted looking i guess, but easy, like a bunch of strips sewn together... So if you see any, let me know... That last one's really cool though. Are they expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! I made some last year that I really liked the pattern for and it wasn't that hard. You can see the picture here http://awmckee.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html.

    If you like it you can click here www.mccallpattern.com/freeproject/M606freeproject.pdf to download the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the the ones in the first picture, from Garnet Hill. We don't have any stockings yet. I want them all to coordinate, but not be exactly the same. So should I wait until I am done having kids to invest in stockings? (we have two kids now and have never had stockings in the 6 years we have been married)

    ReplyDelete