Monday, November 16, 2009

What to do when you don't have time to be creative

So, it's Monday at 1 pm MST, my day to post, and I instant message KK on Googlechat, and say - "I don't have time to post anything today". She's says "Why Not" and I say "Cause its finals week and i have a huge presentation and 65 page paper due today, a 35 page paper and prez tomorrow, a 10 page on thursday and a 6 page on friday, and a law exam and i just don't have time to be creative."

So I feel bad, because no one has missed their designated day to post since we started, and I don't want to be the slacker. So I quickly stop working on my paper and Google "What to do when you don't have time to be creative." The results were pretty interesting - they said "You don't have time to NOT be creative," "Why do I need to be creative," etc. I quickly read over the articles and got pretty inspired, and realized that being creative is just about commitment and not making it such a big process. 


ArtJunkGirl told me "Creativity is all around you. You CAN fit it in. You can live a creative life as much or as little as you want to. No one is stopping you but yourself. Being creative has So many physical, mental and emotional benefits that you don't have time NOT to do it!"

She talks about just committing to do little things, like taking one picture a day, to carry a sketchbook around and try to draw one picture when you are sitting waiting for something, or carry a creative magazine to go through and get inspired, or just go outside on a walk and look at the clouds. She recommended g great book for those of you that would like to learn how to see the extraordinary in the ordinary is, "How to be an Explorer of the World" by Keri Smith.

I wanted to share one of my favorite websites Ted.com. This site has speakers from around the world that give 20 minute presentations on any thought or new idea "Ideas worth Spreading", and they give the most amazing speeches. I try to learn from this for my presentations in school, but some of the things they talk about are just so mind-opening. Here is a talk from Ken Robinson who talks about how creativity can be killed - something to think about.


So in conclusion, you might not have time to sew a new dress or paint a picture, but being creative is a process and a commitment, just like knowing that you have to eat and drink water. I did pack my camera today, and on the walk to my next class I'm going to take a picture. The snow has fallen in Denver and the sun in shining, and just recognizing that is being creative.

Until next week! Muah! Jules

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I love it! And this concept is perfect for someone like me. Good work, Jules! <3

    ReplyDelete