Well I've been pouring over my lists of crafts I want to make trying to get my apartment dressed for the season. I barely have any decorations! We really don't have any room to store things, so last year this was the grand total of my fall decor: (excluding the leaves even)
I filled a small goblet with candy and added a ribbon that I scrounged off a gift I received. The pumpkin I grabbed during the after-Halloween sales, and that was it!
We'll just have to throw out a few more things to make room to store them, because I feel it's in the best interest of all involved to feel fully immersed in the seasons. I can't go around feeling like it's still summer...
So, my new addition to my home is this:
Sorry about the glare, but isn't it cute?
I made it from a tutorial here from Make It and Love It. Check it out there for more pics and details!
Basic steps:
Cut about 10 feet of thin floral wire, poke it through the bottom of a few leaves and push them to the end. After each leaf, twist the wire to keep it in place. Keep twisting & adding leaves, spacing the leaves out an inch or so apart. Wrap the strand of leaves around the wreath and keep going all the way around. Make a bow (check out the link above) and tie at the top of the wreath, and you're done! I love it so much more because I made it. It took maybe an hour and cost $6 to buy everything.
Cut about 10 feet of thin floral wire, poke it through the bottom of a few leaves and push them to the end. After each leaf, twist the wire to keep it in place. Keep twisting & adding leaves, spacing the leaves out an inch or so apart. Wrap the strand of leaves around the wreath and keep going all the way around. Make a bow (check out the link above) and tie at the top of the wreath, and you're done! I love it so much more because I made it. It took maybe an hour and cost $6 to buy everything.
Here was my cost:
Grapevine wreath: $3 Walmart
Leaves: $1 Dollar Tree
Ribbon: $1 Dollar Tree
Floral Wire: $1 Walmart
Floral Wire: $1 Walmart
A few tips I learned:
To avoid seeing a lot of the floral line, try to keep the wire as close to the edge of the leaf as possible. Then tweak the leaves to have them cover up the wire in between the leaves to get an effect like this: 
Also, with the thin wire, it's hard to stab it through the leaf so it helps to pre-poke them with something stronger like a nail/screw/ice pick etc. (You can do a bunch at a time)
Another great thing about fall is....new recipes to try!
I was in the mood for crunchy caramel corn last night, so I made this recipe from Allrecipes to enjoy while watching The Office! It takes about 10 minutes to make, and is microwavable and delicious. Just learn from my mistake and make sure you use a big enough bowl for the sugar/butter mixture because it grows a lot and will overflow. :)
[Image from Skidoo.com; I was too eager to eat and forgot to take a pic :) ]
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment