What I Used
A large wooden frame (depending on your need though really)
One similarly sized sheet of plastic canvas (you can find this in craft stores/sections by the yarn and needle work supplies)
Tacky glue or a heavy duty stapler
Paint
Permanent Marker
The Process
I found a large frame I wanted to use a couple weeks ago at a thrift store. After removing the glass and picture, my first step was to paint. I actually should have used sand paper to wear off the frame's previous finish, but I took the short route and just painted over the old layer. That will work for now. :P
While my paint was drying, I pulled out my plastic canvas. The store only had clear (rather than the dark black I wanted) so I wanted to spice it out. So with my trusty stash of permanent markers I drew these lovely doodles on the material. (This matches my bed spread and other decor.)
My canvas was actually a little small so I sewed a small frame of cardstock paper around the edges. I then glued these edges inside the frame. If your canvas is big enough to stretch across the entire back of the frame (which is what I would suggest), use a heavy duty stapler to attach the edges to the side. Or stick to Tacky glue like me!
I'm thoroughly suprised at how quick this project was. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the outcome. The plastic canvas comes in all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors, so I'm sure it would be fun to find a creative shape or color and use paint and appropriate decoration to match. I would love to see what others come up with. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to do another one myself. Soo...let's keep the creative juices flowing!! :)
- KK
P.S. We now have a Twitter (creativejuices5) and Facebook page (under Creative Juices). Make sure to follow us and become a fan. We will for sure love you for it. Truly.
Thats a cool use for that plastic stuff - I never thought of that - it is what people make rugs out of or use yarn to stitch with. I like this idea a lot. I need one...Mmmm
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm glad others like it too. I wanted some screen material but when I found that I probably wasn't going to find it, I roamed through pretty much every aisle in the craft store. I was excited to find these and think they work better than screen would. You can get different sized holes, plus the plastic is very sturdy.
ReplyDelete:)