Monday, April 26, 2010

What is a Real Job? - seriously, just do what makes you happy

Hey all - it's Jules. So, I'm finishing up my last MBA class and just accepted my first job. I was telling a girl about it and she asked me "oh so when are you going to get a real job?" I was kind of taken aback by that, not sure when i haven't had a "real job" - but for this post I thought I'd talk about this.

So, about the position, it's with an internet marketing consulting firm (help companies build up their web presence and increase the leads and website visits), they also have a new social media program that has awesome potential. The company is only about 8 months old and has two employees. I'll be focusing on business development (finding leads, building relationships, making sales), and then I'll grow with the business and when I help it reach a certain point I'll be able to move up quickly. Also, I can work from home on my own hours and it's almost 100% commission. Uh oh, maybe that last part is what means it's not a "real job"

So, I "google" everything - and I searched for 'real job' and found this site called Life Reboot: It takes courage to reinvent yourself and there was a post 'what is a real job exactly'. Here's some thoughts

According to those I’ve asked, a real job is…
  1. a full-time job with set hours.
  2. a job in my major/field/area of specialization.
  3. a job that pays more than minimum wage.
  4. a job that pays salary.
  5. a job with health insurance/sick leave/paid vacation.
  6. a job with room for growth/advancement opportunity.
  7. a position with a job title and description.
  8. anything that’s NOT a temp job.
  9. anything that earns a steady paycheck.
  10. something that will make me feel like going into debt for a degree was worthwhile.
What’s fascinating about these responses is how nearly all of them focus exclusively on job details. That is, there is a common expectation for the job to satisfy the requirements for being “real.” The exception is #10, where the responder believes how they feel about the job is more important.

This exception among the typical responses made me wonder: Why don’t all people think this way? When asked to describe a “real job,” why don’t people concentrate on the feeling they’d get from it, rather than the actual job? Wouldn’t it be inspiring to hear people describe how a real job is…
  1. a job that’s fulfilling!
  2. a job that’s stimulating!
  3. a job that’s challenging!
  4. a job that’s rewarding!
  5. a job that’s enjoyable!
In other words, shouldn’t the single defining factor of how “real” a job is be determined by how it makes you feel? After all, you listen to your feelings when you decide which jobs aren’t real — and it makes them easy to identify because jobs that aren’t real feel wrong.

So, I'm excited to work with a small business to help it grow. I think I'll be able to take my creativity to a whole new level. There's no hierarchy to go through when I think I have a novel idea. As I'm on commission I can do anything in my power to be successful, there's nothing holding me back - if I do the work to make a ton, then I'll get the money and not be set back by a salary. The company that hired me feels that I will be vital to them and they can see all the skills I can offer and they're EXCITED. That makes me feel good and that's what I want from an employer. So, I HAVE a real job thank you very much :)

4 comments:

  1. I think this was a great point. Thanks for posting. I teach dance and I do it because I love it and not because I make money, but my boss is always talking about the "business" side of it like its the most important thing. I guess it is for her, because she's supporting herself. Maybe I'd feel differently if it was MY paycheck that was paying bills and not Aaron's. I guess its nice to have the luxury of having a job that inspires me and makes me happy. Maybe some people don't have that luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a "real" awesome job to me. Having an commission only job is a good way to get rich. I think a lot of people are scared of work and just want to clock in and out and get paid. I think that is pretty useless...however benefits are a real plus. That is exciting to get in on a start up. I hope they go places. You will have to tell us more about this company. Cograts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules,

    Once again - love your post. I reminds me of one I wrote in the beginning of 2009 called "Preparing for Your Second Job" after a friend asked me if I planned to make a "career" of out my "job"

    http://skariann.blogspot.com/2009/01/preparing-for-your-second-job.html

    Another thing that people might not realize is that the whole notion of ones career is changing...has changed. No longer is one expected to start at the bottom of a career ladder and COMMIT to that organization for the rest of their professional life. That doesn't happen anymore. If it does, it's rare. Much like how we communicate today, we ourselves are always moving, always finding a better fit, stretching ourselves to our limit and then moving on to accomplish bigger and better things—whatever those are for us. (Again, don't get caught into thinking that bigger and better means a secure, full-time position with benefits and 40-hour work week.)

    Also, comments like the ones you received are the internal thoughts that keep people from succeeding doing "non-traditional" work. The people who make those comments will never truly reach their potential. They don't think they can accomplish great things so they won't. These are the same people who think its unfair for a business owner to work a 10-hour week and be able to afford the lifestyle that he or she chooses. However, it is that same business owner who has refused to give those comments about getting a "real job" any thought or attention. Do what you love, work hard, and your own definition of personal success will follow.

    The Secrets of a Millionaire Mind (helping people break out of the mindset that they CANT accomplish want they want)
    IWillTeachYoutoBeRich.com (check out his entrepreneurship articles)
    Careerealism.com (there's a lot of content about finding a professional fit for you, what you personal expect from a "job," how to tackle a new opportunity)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not considered to have a real job but it fits your five critera and I know it is the most important job in the world so I am committed even if I only get paid in little moments throughout the day. Sometime the most important jobs are the ones that you don't get paid for.

    ReplyDelete