Monday, April 26, 2010

Make your own rub-ons

Hi folks. It's Sizzle me Tuesday. Today I am going to share something exciting that I learned and tried. How to make your own rub-ons and how to get the supplies cheap. In creating keepsakes last month there was a whole section on using transparencies in scrapbooking. I had never thought of that before.

You can stamp on a transparency with Staz-on ink and layer over a picture to bring focus to a particular element - like a face. You can add embellishments without risking destroying your paper just adhere to a transparency and layer where you want it.
Here are some pictures from the March/April 2010 issue. I couldn't find them online. This magazine is really full of great ideas:





(above - the words are on transparancy: below -the wave is printed on a transparancy)This one turned out blurry but you can see the elements the frame around the boy goind down the slide and the journaling over the other two pictures.


You can also use transparacies to make your own rub-ons and it is SO EASY. You just need an ink jet type printer and to make sure to use best quality and to do a MIRROR IMAGE. You can do that in printer options or flip it in word art.
All you do is print what you want on the glossy side of a transparency.
Let dry
Rub off.
It is more of a stamped quality then a thick image. I think you could run it through a few times to make it thicker. You'd just have to be patient and let dry in between. Below is an example of what it looks like - one time through on Kraft cardstock. I was working on a mother's day card...


Now, the kicker...when I started thinking of transparencies as a tool I started pricing them. Yikes. Pricey. The smallest box I could find was over thirty dollars - that is one expensive rub-on.

But
I found out you can buy them at copy centers - even the ones at office supply stores per sheet! That is pennies comparatively. I got two color transparencies for .80 and for rub-ons you can reuse them.

Eighty cents is MUCH better for an embellishment. Now when I can't find a rub-on I want where working on a project I just print off my own and get what I need.

Perfect!

Happy Tuesday - Sizzle



No comments:

Post a Comment