Friday, April 23, 2010

Refashioned Shirt =>Vest

This Sunday my baby boy is getting blessed at our church. When deciding what I wanted him to wear, I thought it'd be cute to get a white sweater vest for him. But after looking at every store I could think of, and looking online, I couldn't find one anywhere. Eventually one showed up on Gap online, but it was $25 and looked excessively bulky for a newborn.

Amongst my searching I saw this tutorial featured during MADE's Boy Week for making a boys sweater vest out of a man's sweater. So, after that, I also checked every thrift store for a sweater I could use to do that.

Then, last weekend I stopped by a Goodwill next to a house we were looking at, and I found this!
Yes, it was for a girl... but looked just right. And, conveniently, I was on my way home so my mom could help me convert it :)

I used a sweater the same size that I wanted the sweater to be and gauged where to cut down the sweater.  



Then we cut off all the trim which conveniently fit perfectly to where we wanted to use them on the vest. We also cut off the edges of the sleeves. We then cut the body of the shirt to the size we wanted and mom did her wonders re-attaching all the trim etc.

It took some readjusting, but this is what we ended up with. Not bad for $2 eh?

1 comment:

  1. That's so cute and you saved so much money. Congrats. I am sure he will be super cute in it.

    ReplyDelete