Friday, April 9, 2010

Noteworthy Recipe: Make Ahead Muffins

I found a recipe today that I'm so excited to try!  I've been really trying to find healthier alternatives to my "fast foods" that I eat during the day.  Usually I grab a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and then have leftovers (or junky snack food...) the rest of the day because I haven't figured out how to cook and hold a crying baby simultaneously.

Then, as I was browsing trying to find ideas to make a carseat carrier cover, I found this on a blog called Make it Do that had this great recipe for bran muffins.  You can make the batter ahead and keep it in the fridge for a month!  Then every couple days make a fresh batch.  Mmm.  So as soon as I acquire a box of All Bran and some buttermilk, I'll be enjoying these.  (If you follow the link below, they have step by step instructions with pictures.)

Busy Day Bran Muffins

  • 2 c. boiling water
  • 5 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. shortening
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 qt. buttermilk
  • 5 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 c. All Bran
  • 2 c. Bran Flakes
  • 2 c. chopped dates (optional)
  • 1 c. chopped pecans (optional)
Add baking soda to boiling water and let cool.  Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs.  Stir in buttermilk.  Stir in flour that has been sifted with salt.  Add water/baking soda mixture.

In a large bowl, stir together All Bran, Bran Flakes, dates and pecans.  Pour buttermilk mixture over and stir lightly.  

Cover tightly and refrigerate for a minimum of 12 hours.   Be sure not to stir again.  Batter keeps in the refrigerator for approximately 4 weeks.

To bake:  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Drop by spoonfuls into a greased muffin tin.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Makes 5 ½ dozen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't they seems so yummy and healthy.  I'm thinking I might throw some frozen berries in a batch too...
If you make these before I do, add a comment and let me know how they go!

What recipes do you have that you love to keep on hand for quick meals?
Ooh, or/also, what healthy snacks do you like to keep around the house.  My go-to right now is carrot sticks and I'm looking for some more options.


Thanks!
With love,

2 comments:

  1. I've made these a few times. I love having fresh baked muffins. The batter never lasts me a month, but it is cool that it could. Maybe I'll make some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby carrots. Also, believe it or not, we have been making fresh homemade bread (grinding the red wheat and everything). It tastes so good. When I need a snack, I pop a slice or two in the toaster and put some peanut butter on top. Yogurt is great too. Oh, and homemade granola...of course, I'm typing all this while eating a banana split!

    ReplyDelete