Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Themed Parties—Alice in Wonderland

Last week Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland premiered, so my friend Marie thought it would be fun to theme her birthday party after the movie. She asked to have the party at my place and though I didn't get to help much, the theme worked out pretty well!! Soooo, in case you have a party looming in the near future, consider a Wonderland theme!

The main feature was labeling all of the food and drink with signs that read "Eat Me" and "Drink Me."





The drinks were little water bottles with assorted food coloring dropped in. Yes, the drinks were randomly placed throughout the apartment, and these were in the bathroom.

The main decorations were about four decks of cards worth hanging from the ceiling and on the walls.

It helps if you have awesome people who dress up: Alice and the Queen of Hearts. (We also had the Mad Hatter.)




I also got to make cake balls again—and they were a huge success. Everyone was talking about them and I had to tell several people the secret of how to make them—considering this was only my second time preparing them, I've found a lot of little tricks that work.

I know I posted this before, but I'll just add some quick tips because I can't find the post.

Most recipes are pretty simple. Just use any cake mix and any can of frosting. Cook the cake, then scoop it in a bowl, and stir in frosting.

Scoop the mixture into balls and lay on a waxed cookie sheet.

Here is where I RECOMMEND to FREEZE the balls. I personally left them in the fridge overnight and for most of the next day, but they warm up quickly and are much easier to work with when solid. I'd stick a bunch in the freezer while I was chocolate-dipping others.

Last time I had a hard time covering the balls in chocolate. This time I melted the chocolate (both melting and chocolate chips) on the stove on low and that kept the chocolate from hardening and/or burning. If the balls are solidly frozen, I'd suggest rolling them in the chocolate with a toothpick. Otherwise, go ahead and stick them in the pan and cover them and pull out with a spoon.

For more Alice in Wonderland party ideas see this site, http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/mad-tea-party-ideas.html, or this site. http://www.ehow.com/how_2067026_throw-alice-wonderland-costume-party.html

No comments:

Post a Comment