Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In all that we do

Sizzle here and today I am sharing a totally different creative perspective and that is being creative in all that we do. There are creative ways to do anything - be a mom, in our job, in our schooling and in our communities. As someone who studied public relations I realize the creativity in marketing, in commercials (on tv and radio), in community events, in incentives and in public speaking. The way we do the day-to-day things and make them work for us is where the seed of creativity is planted.

Over the last three years I have held the same calling in my Church; I am the primary chorister. For those of you who don't know primary in the children organization in the LDS church where the children attend classes and learn about the Savior through music. The music part falls on me.

I am not a musical person really, I have never been in choir so I don't know how people teach songs professionally so I have to be creative and try to do things that capture the attention of the children and get them to sing the songs. It is challenging for me BUT I have really felt my creative muscles at work. I have come up with things that I NEVER would have thought of otherwise and I use them on my kids at home too. BONUS.

So today I thought I would share a little bit of creativity under fire. When you have to come up with something- on a time line and it has to work...

This one I had to do because there are kids esp older kids who just look at me as I sing solo. So I made this so if everyone watches me and sings they put one bubblegum ball in the machine and when it is full I will give them a treat. They have to work hard to get a ball - if one person isn't singing I don't give them one - it has to be a team effort. It works. They have sung a ton better.


One week I did a lesson on dynamics and the symbols so they would pay attention to my hands telling them what volume to sing. I made these signs and the kids get a turn to control the dynamics of the different songs we are learning. They love it and it allows us to repeat the songs dozens of times without boredom kicking in.
One of my all time favorites and I still can't believe I thought of this is Brother/Sister potatohead. This is for when we have to review a lot of songs - like the end of the year when we are getting ready for the primary program (when they sing in front of everyone and put on a program).

I made a dozen eyes, nose and mouths and the kids pick from one or the other. They especially like it when I accidentally say "come pick a nose." I couldn't find the faces to show you they must be at church but I used a jack-o-lantern face, a scarecrow face, an owl face, braces, glasses, big full red lips, a long pointy nose, one with a wart---you get the idea. On the back of every piece is the song we have to review. It is funny to see the face come together.

So you see how having to do something can inspire you to think in creative ways and try new things. Not everything I have tried has been successful but I have to keep trying and some things end up being great.

Try to add some creativity to your everyday life this week, you might be surprised with what you come up with.

Sizzle

No comments:

Post a Comment