Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Magnet Boards—Part 1

Yesterday Sizzle showed where to find the materials for projects such as a magnet board. Here's a bit about how we put one together. Sizzle will also post another example later.

We picked up a big board to use as the backing for the galvanized flashing. This is about a 2 foot by 2 foot square. It doesn't really matter what type of wood you use, so we selected the thinnest type so it would be easier to hang.



I, of course, opted to paint it black but wanted somewhat thin coats of paint so we'd still have a slightly rustic and authentic look.




We unwrapped our roll of flashing and measured it against the board. This is a little difficult to work with since it was rolled, plus the edges can be sharp to be careful! We decided to do two strips of the flashing in the middle of the board.



Then we cut. We had some basic cutters and it goes pretty easily. It helps having someone hold the piece so you can readjust the cutters. Our edges were a little rough with this being our first time, so I had to address that later.

The next step is adhesives. We weren't sure how strong of glue we'd need, but for this piece, used Epoxy glue. It holds pretty well but a part of the magnet part didn't have enough adhesive and is slowly coming off. Sizzle will talk about other adhesive options in her magnet board project.

So, I wanted to cover the edges of the magnetic parts just so there would be no accidental cuts or snags on the rough cutting. I choose two thicker ribbons for the horizontal and vertical sides.



To contrast with the black board and ribbons, I wanted to use some bright flower magnets to spice it up. I used some of the bubble magnets and flower magnets I've posted about before. I also have some flowers I pulled off an artificial bunch and just place plain black magnets in the center.

I tried to tie everything together by just printing off some black and white pictures to display. BUT my printer is running out of ink and they came out splotchy and white and blue. Haha. Also, I apologize about the photo quality of the finished board. I can't find my camera cord and resulted to taking a picture with my computer's camera and photo booth program. Angling the screen is such great fun! :P

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the epoxy glue. The liquid nails was much easier to use and holds nice. I think that E600 would be good too http://www.save-on-crafts.com/gluee6000.html

    Let us know what adhesive you used and if you liked it.

    ReplyDelete