Thursday, January 14, 2010

Magnet Board part 2

Hi, Sizzle here again. We are diving into the world of magnet boards! Really the hardest part of this project is 1) finding the supplies - which hopefully we helped you with and 2) glueing the metal onto your board.


I wasn't impressed with the epoxy but perhaps that is because this was my first time ever using it. I don't know but it didn't spread well over a large surface and having to mix it together and then spred it quicking before it dries is pretty tough. This is what epoxy glue looks like:


I am pretty sure there are tons of adhesives that would work - I'd think E600 would work and I tried liquid nails for one of mine and I liked it better.

In fact it was really cheap to buy one of these huge tubes but you have to have one of these blue contraptions (not sure what they are actually called - anyone?):

After using the liquid nails - all over the board (I was liberal with it) I smoothed it out with my hands and then applied weight. This is what I mean:


I tried some other techniques to dress up my magnet boards so I could make sure they worked and show you the results. A lot of time I hear about things but don't try them out but I did this time. I hope you'll find something you like and I hope you'll share what you learned too...

My friend Anjie told me about this trick awhile back and I wanted to give it a try - it is the Elmer's glue trick. You spread Elmer's glue onto your project and when it is still WET you paint over it. I used acrylic paint. When it dries it crackles.



This is what it looks like when it is dried


Oh, before I did this (I should have done it after!) - I used an antiquing stain - that is fun too. Just rub on and rub off awhile later:



It was my goal to make two --I only finished one though so I'll share my other one next Tuesday. For the second one I made a frame. You just need a miter box like this:


You use it like this to cut mitered corners. Get the real wood molding - I got the fake stuff thinking it would be easier to cut - it wasn't. So learn from my mistake and get the real wood.
The frame will look like this:


Cute huh. I still have to cut this board down so I just put the frame there for now to take the picture.

This is what the miter saw looks like at Lowe's, if you want to buy one. It is right in the tool section by the tin snips. It cost about 8$.


I think everyroom could have a magnet board and the are pretty easy to make - after you get the glue thing figured out and then you get to decorate them. Fun!

I will post pictures of my ALMOST finished project (magnet board 1) later in the day when I can get a good picture. I was up late doing it so I couldn't get any good pictures. It is so cute...stay tuned!

This is the only decent one I got last night and it just doesn't do it justice!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the frame you did. I can't tell...is that the one in the final picture? But good job; it all looks really good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No the one with the frame is the one I haven't finished yet.

    ReplyDelete