Wednesday, January 6, 2010

CREATIVE New Year's Resolutions

January is always a time of year that brings around resolve to improve. That's right—it's resolutions time! I haven't always been one to write resolutions, though I did write a list of goals this year. But I love reading lists of what the masses have decided needs their attention most.

With that, today I'm sharing a list of the ten most popular New Year's resolutions and how YOU can apply them to keep your CREATIVE juices flowing.

Top 10 Resolutions

1. Enjoy life more
Life is meant to be enjoyed. Think about where and how you spend your time. Is it doing something you enjoy and love? Is it spent with people you love and appreciate? Think about what makes you happy and make sure it has a place in your life. I like making signs that help remind me to enjoy appreciate life. This one reminds me that although life has its ups and downs, I can look on the positive side, enjoy where I am, and move forward with greater resolve. It gives me appreciate for even the little things that make me happy on a daily basis.

2. Lose weight
I could mention that it's time to hit the gym—it surely is for me—but I like relating this common goal to other areas of life. What things, physical or not, act as weight in your life? I think I spend too much time watching television shows, and could spend that time more wisely. And I know I have way too much stuff. The idea of lifting that weight—organizing, cleaning out, whatever, is exciting and will likely motivate you in this new year.

3. Start exercising
What is that one skill you wish you were better at? For me it's photography. Pick something you want to improve at and start exercising. Apply the techniques you've probably heard about fitness and apply it to your creative exercise. Perhaps set a schedule. Maybe keep track of your progress. Whatever you want to do, just do it. Something is better than nothing. Sometimes is better than never. Do something once and you'll already be in better shape than before.

4. Learn something new
This is pretty self-explanatory, but reach outside of your creative comfort zone and attempt a new type of project. Goodness there are zillions I haven't tried. Find one that seems exciting and try it out.

5. Find true love
Maybe you'll find true love with a new project you try, but I also like the idea of sticking with what you already know for this one. If you are a scrapbooker, try out different products and find one that helps you be AMAZING at what you do. (I need to find my true love glue.) There is probably one tool out there that can be something you turn to over and over again. Once you find it, you won't know what to do without it.

6. Get a better job
Everyone wants to spend their time doing something they love. If you have that opportunity, consider yourself lucky. If not, find what you love and do it. A "job" doesn't have to be an actual punch-the-clock job. Try teaching a class or group of friends about something you know how to do. Maybe try selling some creative projects. Start a blog! There are endless options, but the important thing is to enjoy and love what you are doing.

7. Save money
Hobbies can be expensive. But saving money is always an option. Watch for sales and stock up on items you need often. Take inventory of what supplies you have and come up with projects you can make with those items. Remember that lots of craft stores accept competitor coupons and match prices. (Sizzle knows more about that.) And maybe try venturing into the world of couponing. Save on what you can, even if it's not creative materials. If you save on things like groceries, you have a little more cushion to spend on other things.

8. Take a trip
Our own Jules is famous for this and just wrote about taking timeless travel photos. Taking a trip is a great way to free your mind and recharge. Plus it gives you great opportunities to embrace new cultures and appreciate new types of creativity. If a big ordeal isn't in the works, maybe spend a weekend in the town next to you. Maybe even take along some creative projects so you can actually focus on them.

9. Reduce stress
This is easier said than done isn't it? Try to limit the number of projects you take on. At least limit yourself to one until it is finished. I know I've found myself a bit overwhelmed when I have five unfinished projects strewed about screaming for my attention. Also, remember that you are the creator. If something isn't working out, feel free to scrap it or start over again.

10. Spend more time with family and friends
Sometimes it's difficult to finish a creative project knowing you could be spending time with family and friends. Well, the option isn't either/or. Come up with projects your kids can help with. They love it! (Notice that Sizzle's kids are always in her pictures?) Invite some friends over to work on a project together. Volunteer to teach what you know to someone who wants to learn. You'll find that it's pretty doable—and fun!

Well, there's your top ten. Good luck in 2010! I've found a bit of motivation thinking about these goals and hope you have too!

No comments:

Post a Comment