Sunday, September 20, 2009

Reproducing famous paintings - from Jules


I always loved modern paintings with their simplicity and the way they can bring in some bright splashes of color - but although I appreciated the artist and the work, I always thought that they don't look that hard to paint! I had often played around with acrylic paints and don't really do well with drawing people or flowers or something, so I thought a modern painting would be fun to try out.



Piet Mondrian was one of those painters, who was famous from his paintings of black lines randomly filled with red, yellow and blue. So, I thought it would be fun to try and reproduce the look.

Than got into painting with me, and he found a Mondrian picture online and measured the distance between the lines so that we could try and replicate it to the exact specifications.

We then got drafting tape (which is sold at any arts/craft store) and laid it out on a canvas. Drafting tape is great to create modern paintings because you can create a design, fill in the spaces, and then rip it off to show a cool design. Just be sure that its down all the way so the paint doesn't seep underneath the tape.

The hardest part is mixing the paint, but with Mondrian replications the colors are pretty bright and pure and look pretty similar as they are in the tube.

Ta Da!!

What are some types of modern paintings that you think would be easy to paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment