I'm definitely one who has never had a picture "professionally" matted. If a frame comes with a mat, then I might use it, but unless it's a really nice piece of art I couldn't justify paying for it. Plus, even if you just buy a single mat at the store, they're not cheap. (Or maybe I just am...) So if you're like me, consider matting to-be-framed pictures on cardstock! We do it for scrapbooking all the time, but I think it's overlooked for framing.
I've done this a few times before, mostly out of necessity/lack of materials, but was reminded of it's greatness while reading this post on Thrify Decor Chick. (It's a long post, so this is the picture to look for.)
She uses colored poster board that matched the color of her walls. At first the reflection looked like the larger picture had stripes on the bottom half of the paper which I think would be work well too.
The ones I've done are really simple. Black & white even...
My first time doing this I was when I made one of these picture frame boxes for our wedding reception for the cards to go in.
I was trying to do everything ultra cheap and decided to use some 4x6 pictures that I had already printed from snapfish (I think) with my favorite white border. I had a bunch of extra 12 x 12 black textured cardstock leftover from another project that I cut to size and glued the photos to them.
I loved how it looked with the white border from the photos.
For this one, I had used my mom's embroidery machine to make this for Jeremy for Christmas one year and just matted it on torn scrapbook paper and white cardstock. Easy right?
Just a start, but tons of possibilities with this one. I've got lots of empty frames sitting around that I'm excited to fill with cardstock-mounted-images. Hope this helps to keep the juices flowing!
No comments:
Post a Comment