Hello All! This is Jules and I'm making my first post here. I'm 28 and am currently a poooor, grad student :). I used to be a "young professional" in DC and became a little disenchanted, so wanted to go back to school - I'm now earning my International MBA in Denver. I have a great group of friends here that make life awesome, as well as a great guy (I'll call him Than) that just moved out here too. I work part-time at an Rug Gallery where I do the website and tech stuff and then also research and sell beautiful rugs and antiques from around the world - so I'm surrounded by colors and shapes and great stories. Inspired by that, my topic today is about observing your surroundings to inspire your art or creative projects, and using photographs as a great way to decorate any space.

I love going on long walks to look at things, to hear the city or nature, and to find new perceptions. Than is an amazing photographer and when ever we travel, go hiking, or just walk around town he's always snapping photos and then they come out breathtaking. We love photoshop and you can play around with it and do awesome stuff or you can do it online on several websites like snapfish.com or getfunky.com-- see the sample photo on the right.
One day I'd love to print out hundreds of these, put them in nice frames and have them around my house - with their stories and memories. So much better than store-bought pictures!
Black and White photos can make a simple photo seem expensive. Dusk is a great-time for a photowalk - shadows can do wonders for depth. Food on a plate - look how gorgeous it looks in b/w!
Parks have some create scenery. Taking pictures of a scene you may see everyday and think nothing of could be amazing just by playing with the colors and lighting on photoshop.
Restaurant Signs are often elegant and could be great for pictures in the kitchen or eating nook.
A child's discarded toy has awesome imagery with the soft fabric against the brick road. Can't you imagine this photo in a child's playroom?
Hope you found this interesting! Now, look through those family photos and snapshots that you have from your digital camera and have some fun with them. See them as a starting point and see how you can change them to make them unique and artistic, and blow them up to hang in your home!
See ya next week! xo, Jules








Cool pictures Jules, I want to try playing with some pictures and see what I come up with.
ReplyDeleteJuli -- I love your ideas! The juices are flowing with great ideas now! I'm working very hard to make my apartment into my "home". I cleaned!! You should come check it out!
ReplyDelete