Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bubble Magnets

This is a pretty common craft project so most of you have probably seen other examples.

Bubble Magnets.

I think they are fun; you can make them to match whatever you want. The possibilities are endless. When I first tried this project, I was really excited and wanted to try every possibility. I made individual sets for various Christmas presents last year and still have a ton of supplies that I want to play with. (One of these days, I will have time for crafts...one day.) I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with more magnets than I have places for!

This project is really quick and easy so if you haven't made them before, I hope you give it a try.

Supplies:
First you'll need the glass stones. You can usually find these in the wedding/special occasions section of crafts stores, Wal-Mart, or your store of choice. Pick the size you want, big or small.

Next, grab some magnets from the general crafts area. You can usually get some pretty strong ones or if you are working more for decoration, you could get by with the thin magnet strips and just cut them to fit.

You'll also need some reliable glue that dries clear (or Mod Podge) and cute paper! (This is a great project for double-sided paper.)

Each stone has a slightly different size, so you can trace the flat side before you cut out a circle. Usually the difference isn't much, so you can use a circle punch or the same template for all the magnets.

Once you have paper cut out, cover one side with glue and apply the paper to the bottom of the stone. Let this dry.

The strength of glue needed for the magnet depends on the strength of the magnet. If you have a strong magnet, use strong glue. Otherwise the magnet will detach itself. :( Let the magnet glue dry REALLY WELL before using, so the magnet doesn't move/detach.

Be creative and customize your magnets to match whatever area they'll be used in; the kitchen, the office, the locker, the to-do board. The possibilities are endless.


The magnet set I made for Ritz's kitchen.

Thanks for reading! Keep the juices flowing.

-KK

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I love mine! And I took that picture :) I feel special.

    ReplyDelete