Time.
Daylight Savings time is driving me NUTS. I hate it. Everything is off. Today I woke up at 8 which is usually when we wake up except today it was 9. Preschool starts at 9. Ooops. We got there 10 min late - but pretty good for what we had to work with.
The whole change though got me thinking about time. We all have the same amount of time per day. All over the world. Everyone. Yet, some people accomplish great things and others acomplish little.
I realized I need to do better with my time. How can I squeeze more time into a day? What can I give up to accomplish my goals? I have so many things I need to do that sit around for weeks, months...years before I actually get to them. Why is that?
Why don't I ever workout? Why have I gotten so behind on my journal and the boys'? Why have I never finished 2 kids first year scrapbooks? I have the same time as other people. The answer is I don't make time for it and time gets taken up by other things.
I found that if I don't schedule my time it just disappears into the abyss and I have nothing to show for it.
So I have a resolution, a schedule for myself and for the kids. Because I have kids I need to make sure I get their things done too so I started job charts. For all of us...
me especially.
There is something about marking off a little box that really gets you going. It really gets the kids going too. Yesterday we did it for our first time and lo and behold I got everything done. My house is clean, the laundry is folded and put away, the kids are playing outside more and being nice to each other (that is on the list).
I decided after they get a whole week completed, I will give them a YES card. So they can give it to me when I am saying no and get a yes instead. My 4yr old is excited about that. I don't like to reward with candy - except for potty training :) but that might change. We will see.


Their charts are divided into morning, afternoon and night jobs. They are laminated so they can mark them off themselves or scribble on them. Mine is scheduled out in my planner by the hour. Of course, I will have to be flexible but there are things that I have to get done EVERYDAY (workout, make bed, read scriptures, dishwasher, laundry etc) and hopefully this will help me better control my time.
The things I have been putting off that I need my time for are the following (so I can remember in case I lose my list):
- Edit and publish BING book (my old blog chronicling 3 years of our families life)
- Finish kid games
- Pillows for couch
- Baby scrapbooks
- Frames for family pictures
- Painting
Thanks for following this blog. Have you found something that works for you? I'd really like to know what works for you. Leave a comment.
All I know is I accomplished a whole lot more on my mission where we had to plan out every half hour - with a plan A and a backup. I tried to keep being a planner, but I've failed. But making a list helps a lot. That's about all I do when I'm feeling ambitious...
ReplyDelete