Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How to make Baby bows

When I first found out I was expecting a baby girl (after 2 boys) I started researching how to make everything cute and girly. I couldn't believe how expensive little girl accessories are - I would never pay that much so I tried different ways to do it myself and made a supply of clips and a baby headband.


The two main things you need are alligator clips and knee highs. I got a pair of white knee highs in the sock section for .33. They are on an end unit in little gumball machine type containers (small). They also come in pink and other colors but I think they go fast so if you see them...Grab them.


Alligator clips you can get at beauty supply stores. I got a box of 100 for 5 dollars. They come in different sizes. I got the smallest ones.


Depending om what you want the clip to look like you'll also need ribbon, flowers or felt (to cut into shapes and stitch). I used ribbon for the one I am demoing today.

Here are the steps:

1. cut off both ends of the knee-high

2. sew the ends together with a zig-zag stitch. (you can fold the tight in half or leave full - I left it full. That is the inside of the headband. The next step it to cover the seam. You'll need they top piece shown above of a piece or ribbon.

3. Wrap a ribbon or end of knee high around stitching. I used the top piece - cut it so it was straight - cut it down to the size that would fit around, folded it in half length wise, sewed the edges together, turned inside out and sewed the ends. Here are some pictures but with white it might be hard to see.

Make a tube - turn inside out and sew ends together

It will end up looking like this! That is where you will clip the alligator clips

3. Wrap a ribbon, using hot glue around the alligator clip - fully covering the clip.
Before and after - both sides inside and out.

4. Make your bow. You want to wrap your ribbon while still connected to the spool - get the shape you want and the sew the center together.

Sew where my thumb is.

5. Wrap a ribbon around the center and glue in the back.

Some people have the middle part go around the actual clip top and glue it there...
I just glue it and then glue it to the clip later.

6. Add any embellishments - I added a button. I also tied the middle part instead of wrapped and left the ends long. I clipped them later.

7. The last step is to glue the bow to the clip and clip it to the head band.
8. Repeat and make one for every outfit. Little girls can't have to many bows!

Other ideas:
I made these using paper scrapbooking flowers and they have lasted a long time - the only problem is rain.

2 comments:

  1. cute bows Sizzle! I never thought to wrap something around the seam. I tried to make the headband once for a friend and it just said to sew if loosely and then pull the strings and scrunch it up, but it still ends up looking like it needs something. That would solve it...

    ReplyDelete