Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Book Recommendations

Well hello, hello!

I wanted to share just a couple book recommendations with you. I have a little bit of a goal to read more this year, but I haven't done well so far!! At all. So I was thinking about what stands out from my favorite books from when I used to read a lot, and a couple of the things that I read last year—it was not a lot.


My top pick from 2009 is "I Will Teach You To Be Rich,"a personal finance book. But I promise, this is not your typical finance book. It's written by Ramit Sethi, a 27-year-old Stanford graduate who takes a really to-the-point and practical approach to money. He is NOT one to advocate frugality and trying to save money by not buying a daily Coke or latte. It's more about big wins and very clear, strategic instruction. I think this is a great book for anyone wanting to get started into the world of budgeting, credit cards, investing, 401Ks, etc. I'm going to send a copy to our 18-year-old brother, because I think this is essential stuff to know even before you really find yourself in the middle of all this. Check out his blog too, which also includes a bit of a entrepreneurship emphasis. He also is a fantastic marketer and I'm really impressed by the brand he has created for himself.


Because I am an editor, I often find myself sheepishly reading grammar books. But they are interesting!!! I promise. If anyone is remotely interested in language usage and answering simple grammar questions, check out Grammar Girl. She has a couple books out, and all of very informative and basic. She also has a podcast series that you can listen to on her site or by subscribing through iTunes. For a look at some basics, try "Lay vs. Lie," "Affect vs. Effect," and "How Do You Pronounce 2010?"

The final recommendation goes a WAYS back. Seriously. This LDS fiction series became my favorite when I was in the 6th grade. I don't know if that's a determent, but I really was reading well above my age level. The author's kids actually attended my same school, and my friends I all read her books. The main trilogy starts with "Ariana: The Making of a Queen."

What are your recommendations and some of your favorite reads? Please let me know, because I've got a lot of reading to do this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment