"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one." —Mark Twain
Pretty good eh? So that's what I'm gonna do. Starting tomorrow--actually it will be today when you read this, but really, it's late already, and I'm sleeping for two :)
Anyway, I've had one task on my list for a couple months that I finally got to complete over the break. I had this vision in my head, but realized I completely lacked the ability to actually accomplish it. I brought it home and our dear mother actually ended up doing most of it for me. Hehe... I'm just not that gifted. Anyway, here's the project and although there's not really a way to duplicate the results, it's just here to help you get the juices flowing :) Turning that almost-perfect-something into a masterpiece.
What I began with:
Note the pockets (there's another on the other side):
So.. Vision: Cut off the pockets and make sleeves out of them!
How, I didn't know, but it had to be possible.
What we did:
*Cut off the pockets close to the seam like so:
*Undid the seam around the shoulder to take off that end binding. We wanted to put that around the bottom of the sleeve we would make.
*Then we found a shirt that we liked the sleeve of and made a template on paper, adapting as needed so it would line up right.
*Mom figured out how to make the scraps fit where we needed them. It wasn't at all the right size so notice how there's seams on the front where's it's sewn together. There's another on the underside.
* The rest she pretty much did by herself...but eventually she attached the makeshift piece, and reattached the binding that we took off.
The end result:
It's seriously perfect-exactly what I wanted. See why we need to learn to do stuff? So we can make our kids happy one day :)
{My favorite part about these last pictures is my halo. :) We really need a better background to take pictures in front of than our metal front door...}
Anyway, envision and if needed, find someone that can help you do it, and do it. Then you can feel the joy of checking one project off your list.
So cute Ruthie!
ReplyDeleteYou are so funny! I loved this post. The dress looks super cute. How did you make your name like that? I want one. Sizzle
ReplyDeleteP.S. Your haircut looks cute
ReplyDeleteIf anyone else is interested in the signature, I followed the instructions here:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.djyano.com/add-your-signature-in-your-blog
and thank you.
ReplyDeleteI just love this blog! And Ruthie you are adorable.
ReplyDeleteI love the dress! I would ask where you got it, but I guess there will never be one just like it :) I laughed about the reason we need to learn to do stuff, because I sure don't know how to "do stuff".
ReplyDeleteLook at your sewing pro. Way to dive in and make the dress work for you!
ReplyDelete