Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Stuff those stockings...RIGHT

It's probably no surprise that I am talking about stockings again - I have an obsession - I love stockings and I love stuffing stockings. I love it a little too much. In fact, I spent 100$ last night just on stocking stuffers and more if I count the other odds and ends I got during different shopping trips. Luckily my husband doesn't read this blog - at least I don't think he does.


I guess I will find out.

I am not a fan of a stocking full of candy; as a parent I don't want to deal with hyper kids for the next few days so I try to get other stuff for the stockings but still keep it fun.


My husband always said that his favorite part of Christmas morning was his stocking so I have tried to make stockings special for our kids. I do a lot of small presents instead of just food. I get stuff they like but that I don't buy or let them eat often. I try to wrap some of the little things that will go in their stockings.


I have found great stocking stuffers at bookstores, drug stores, Smith and Edward's (local), Michael's and Target.


Here are some things I love to get for my stocking stuffers -of course you'll want to think about what your person wants/needs and adjust.


Adults:
body wash
something nostalgic (food/toy/book/game from childhood)
lotion
chapstick
shavers
loofah
facial wipes
Listerine
full sized candy bars
personal interest magazines
a book - fiction/crosswords/sudoku
key chain
watch
a movie
chips/nuts/jerky
Favorite cookie/cracker
a love note
planner
ornament of something that happened that year
shave gel/after shave
socks
beanie - gloves (winter wear)
belt
elastic bands
hair clips
Something hobby oriented - golf balls, running socks, fabric, ribbon, earphones etc.


Children
yogurt covered raisins
sidewalk chalk
paper back books
stickers
gloves, beanies
underwear
socks/tights
new sippy cup
baby food (for babies of course)
Fruit leather or character fruit snacks (my kids only get the 100% fruit boring shaped ones usually- so this is WAY exciting...especially if they are Transformer or Scooby-doo)
toy trains
matchbox cars
Lego cars
giant pens (Michael's)
bubbles
watercolor paints
new crayons/markers
Anything they use A LOT of - for mine its paper and scotch tape
puzzles
monkeys in a barrel
balls
silly putty
play dough
coloring book
a cape - all boys like cape
headbands (girls)
sunglasses
mini cereal boxes


p.s. I don't have girls yet --well I have a 5 month old girl so I really don't know what people with girls use...I tried to put some in there but this is probably a boy heavy list. Sorry.


I DO put some goodies in but I try to make them classic things that they will ONLY get at Christmas like candy canes, candy sticks, ribbon candy, chocolate Santa's etc. I try to have their stockings be about them and what they need, love and then something exciting (wrapped).


If you have already got all your presents, sent out your Christmas cards (I haven't) its time to think about stocking stuffers. I hope this gives you some new ideas.


What is the best thing you have found in your stocking? What is your favorite thing to use as stocking stuffers?










3 comments:

  1. In my family, we ALWAYS had a beef stick, and in Aaron's they ALWAYS had an orange in the toe of the stocking. So we've adopted eachothers. His is a little healthier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always had a bag of corn-nuts. My husband thought it was really weird when I said we had to have them, but now he knows and he gets them for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome I love hearing about things people get in their stockings - especially the little things that stick out in your mind

    ReplyDelete