Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fridge container

Last weekend my roommates and I reorganized our fridge. Before we had the bottom shelf for all milk and assorted things, but we each only had a small shelf for the rest of our things. It wasn't working out that well, so we decided to move the shelves around so we could all have our own shelf that we could fit our own milk on and everything else. (Oh the joys of sharing a fridge with roommates. :)) It works so much better now and I feel like I actually have room to buy and make food. Well that organization streak spread to the outside of the fridge when one roommate started cleaning off the outside of the fridge. There were a lot of random announcements and coupons, so I thought it would work nicely to make a little container that could hold all of that.

First step: I picked out a good sized box that I could cover and use. I chose a long fruit leather box that was about an inch wide. I cut it down so it could hold even an 8 1/2 wide paper.

I picked out some fun papers and elements to use.

And I finally bought some more Mod Podge...using a Robert's Crafts 50 percent off coupon.

I measured the paper to be just a little larger than the box so it could fold over the edges. It works best to spread the Mod Podge on the side that will touch the box first. Then as you place the paper, spread Mod Podge on the outside and try to smooth out the surface.


I used plain colored cardstock for the outside and to line the insides of the box. I placed four magnets in the corners and let those firmly dry.


For the front, I added a ribbon and bow. I covered the ribbon with Mod Podge too and in this picture, it is still drying, so that gunk you see will be clear. I will probably find a button, element or brad to go in the center of the bow.


And Wa-laa! Place it on your fridge, or for any other use!


I mention in my post last week how I have so many containers and boxes that I want to recycle for use around my house. I'll probably use this idea to make various other organization things around my house. Ooo, maybe I'll try a pencil/pen holder.

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea. I should make one of these for all my coupons I haven't gotten to cutting out yet. Thanks KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. I should do that too. Yea, these might need to be my way to get organized around my desk.

    ReplyDelete