Wednesday, October 21, 2009

digital to physical

When it comes to CREATIVITY, we all probably go through dry spells. You know, those times where we can't seem to possibly think outside the box. Plus creativity, like most other things in life, comes through practice and exercise.

I sometimes have a hard time fitting creative time into my busy schedule. I have about a million projects I want to be working on at any time, so when I get the chance, I usually just sit down and do exactly what I had thought about. But I'm sure I'm missing some great opportunities to really stretch above and beyond creatively. As a layout designer by profession, I get a lot of opportunities to be creative not only at work, but on computers and using amazing programs. I love this opportunity and think it brings out a different aspect of my creativity.

Which brings me to my topic today: cross-development between physical and digital projects.

Simply put, try creating something on a computer and then re-creating it physically or the other way around. You definitely won't find yourself starting with the same ideas or from the same place. You HAVE to think about the project different and hopefully will come up with an unique, amazing result.

For example, I loved a certain quote by the country singer, Taylor Swift. I decided to create something with it to display on my wall. I didn't have a printer at the time so to make the project easier, I designed something on my computer first. Now, here possibly a year later, I'm finally re-creating the project in the physical, hang-on-my-wall nature.

When I first designed this on my computer, I always had the idea to have a red block breaking up the page and the font popping out and spilling over. I still have a little work to do. I used some chip board letters I had and painted them black. For the "f," I printed out the original and traced and cut it out again a little larger and on cardstock. I'm still not sure about the mixed fonts. I'm also going to add a border with black polka-dot paper.

(P.S. I posted this on my personal blog and have seen the picture spread around between readers...hehe, I love it.)

I actually did the same thing with my personal CD covers for last year's Summer Songs cd.




Oh darn, I can't find the physical ones...well, they basically look like these examples but with depth...


Give it a try. It's just one simple way to try to, hey, get your creative juices flowing. (I so did not plan that.)

-KK

No comments:

Post a Comment