But, there are so many cool useful things out there that you can make that will for sure be one of a kind. At least here in VA where the craft blogs aren't so abundantly read :)
The one for today is a diaper and wipes clutch. Great idea for keeping your diapers all neat in the diaper bag, and also easier for a quick grab for a diaper change.
There are a few tutorials out there in blog land and since I'm not super smart sewing-wise I had to read through all of them to figure out what I would be doing. I ended using a few ideas from each of them when making mine, so I decided to make a new tutorial that will hopefully get you all the way through in one place :)
I ended up making this twice because the first one turned out with a few unwanted quirks. I ended up giving away that one, but I made it again so I could explain better how to make it right. (In the pictures, both bags are used. The only difference is the first one has a narrowed flap and the other doesn't. Don't let that confuse you)
Hope it's all clear :)
Instructions:
Cut one 8 x 10 piece and one 8 x 13 piece from lining and outer fabric
(*If you're an amateur seamstress like me, I'd recommend doing it once without these next 2 steps to narrow the flap, because it made it more complex when sewing/flipping and I got frustrated. But once you know what you're doing, I think this makes it just a little cuter)
Optional step: Line up large pieces back to back. Line up one of the short pieces on top as a guide.
Pin front pieces to back pieces, right sides together. Sew with 3/8" (the one between ¼ and ½ so I learned...) seam allowance
Trim the hem on the lining closer to the seam so it will be less bulky inside
Also clip corners on the bottom of both pieces.
Turn the lining right-side out and slide inside the outside fabric (keep that inside-out)
Pin tops together, mark off a 3" area in the middle where you will NOT sew, so you can flip it.
For the corners, fold both the side hems toward the front and it will make them much neater when flipping. (see the pin? and sorry, it keeps turning this picture)
Sew around the flap and ends of the front, leaving your opening in the front. Use a 3/8" seam again. (See how I sewed the left hem toward the back, don't do that!)

Clip upper corners
Flip right side out, and tuck the lining inside. Stick a pencil in the corners to get them nice and square.
Pin the front opening shut. Press the flap
Top stitch around the front and the flap, closing the opening (about 1/4" seam) Cut two 1 inch pieces of sew-on velcro and pin where you want them.
Sew around each piece of velcro. Although I had to be more careful with my mistakes, I think it looks really cool with the contrasting thread on the top stitch and for the velcro.
Add diaper & wipes and you're done! This is big enough for a couple diapers and pack of wipes.
As a side note, this type of bag can be used to contain or protect anything. Just make it a little smaller and use as a glasses case, ipod/cell phone/gps protector or for anything!
That was great Ritz- I never could get the corners of the flap to work right folding them both in makes sense and I love the larger size. Some of the other ones I've seen are to small. I'd like to fit more than just newborn diapers in there - ya know
ReplyDeleteThat's a fun tutorial! And I love your fabric.
ReplyDelete