Hi Everyone,
I've decided that since there are a lot of new crafters out there that I will feature some products available that can allow you to do some amazing things a lot easier and faster. I will show you how to do things using these project and give you additional ideas of what ELSE you can do with them. If you try using this project send us a picture of what you used it for and we will share it so everyone can get more ideas.
Today's product is one of my favorites. It is FUSIBLE WEB. It's AWESOME. You can do so many things with it especially applique. Basically what it does is fuse two fabric together. I was trying to think of small projects I could do to feature this product and I decided I'd show you how to do a monogram applique.
Fusible Web can be found at any craft store - you can buy it off a bolt or in a package with pre-cut squares. You can even get it in the craft section at Walmart. You need PAPER-BACKED fusible web.
Monograms are really in right now; have you noticed how everyone has a huge letter on their wall for the initial of their last name? I still need to get me one of those --possible future project...but today we are doing one for my daughter Abbey so we will be using an A.
The first step, after you've decided what you want to do it to get on your computer or diecut machine. I will show you how to do it on the computer since most people have access to that. I will be using MS Word.
You need to know what size you want it. I had some leftover squares of fabric from a quilt I made for a friend they were about 7 inches square.
1. Open a new document, if your draw toolbar isn't already open (mine is on the bottom of my screen) go to the Tools menu, select Custom (select the Toolbar tab) and check the box for drawing toolbar - it should pop up. Then you can close the customer box.
2. Select WordArt from the Drawing Toolbar - its a tilted colored A. Select one of the shadow formats - I did the second one down. You have to do this in WordArt so you can flip it. When you select your format (shadow or whatever you want) a box will pop up that reads enter text here - make sure you change the font to what you want - I chose Monotype Corsiva-- choose one so you like the look of your letter - enter the letter in the text box and try a lot of fonts until you find one you love.
Select the largest font size you can - you can stretch it later if you need it bigger. When you get the look you want select ok.
***Another thing to point out is that since we are using fabric for this project it needs to be a thick font so I bolded mine just to give him more size.
3. It should be in the document, now we need to flip it. We flip it so that when we iron our letter onto our fabric it will be correct. Select Draw on the tool bar - another menu will open up and select rotate or flip then select flip horizontal.
Now stretch it to the size you want I did 4 x 5. Print it out.
4. Trace the letter onto the paperbacked side of the fusible web. (it should be backwards - remember to flip it)
5. Cut out your letter leaving about 1/4 in around the sides
6. Iron your letter onto the WRONG SIDE of your chosen fabric
7. Cut out the letter using the traces lines.
8. Position on your backing fabric where you want it to go.
9. Take the paper backing off your letter and iron it to the back fabric. Let it cool. It is now permanent - you can wash it, dry clean it etc..
10. For an extra touch, hand stitch around the edges of your letter using a blanket stitch or running stitch or use a sewing machine stitch of your choice.
The final step is to finish making it into whatever you want - leave it raw and frame it, make it into a bag or you could iron a monogram onto an existing tote, make it into a pillow, wall hanging etc.
I made mine into a wall hanging for her room.
I hope you'll try out fusible web. It will allow you to convert anything into something personalized.
Keep the juices flowing
Email me your project at cjuices2@gmail.com








Super cute blog!! How fun to have so many sisters! I'll definitely be following.
ReplyDelete