Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mobiles for Baby

Hi it's Sizzle today and I wanted to talk about baby mobiles!  The possibilites are endless.  I've collected images from around the internet to inspire you and also show you how I did the one I created.  But first I thought I'd introduce myself since I am the only one who hasn't. 

I am the oldest of the 5 sisters and have been married for 6 years and have 3 children (two boys, one girl) ages 4,2, and 3 months.  They keep me busy but if I can catch a moment to myself I like to do something.  I am one of those people who always HAS to be doing something or thinking about something.  I try.  I am not the best at anything but I dabble in EVERYTHING.  I learn from my mistakes and am constantly trying new things from books or websites.  There are SO many things I wish I had time for but don't but I bookmark them in my favorites and hope that someday I will have time. 

I learn a lot from my sisters so I am so glas we have this blog so I can learn from them.  We don't live close to each other so really this blog helps us keep up with each other and to learn from each other.  I am so excited to be on this adventure with them. 

I started this blog wanting to be a part of the awesome creative and inspirational community of bloggers but soon realized that I couldn't do it on my own.  I think to be a successful blog you need something everyday and that was beyond me.  I want to be successful though so I recruited the most creative people I know, my sisters, so that we could have new material every day (well...Monday thru Friday) and I could keep my sanity and my family. 

We also thought it would be cool since we are all at different stages of life so there would be something to appeal to everyone.  We have different hobbies and interests and could teach different things and we talk/write in different ways so it would stay new and fresh.  So welcome to our blog.  I hope you love it and that you can learn something. 

So todays topic...mobiles.  I think mobiles are great for any age group not just babies.  It is fun to have something to look at on your ceiling when you are daydreaming or trying to go to sleep.  So lets think of mobiles for everyone.  I created this one from the bird pattern I got from this book.  I turned the birds into a mobile using an embroidery hoop and beading string.  You could also use bamboo sticks from the cooking section or dowels.  I matched the fabrics to my baby's bedding.  I tied them with ribbon so I could change out the birds with something else down the line.  I love turquoise - so I painted the hoops to add a pop of color. 
I loved these boats that Dan Vickery created on Design Star - look at the ceiling.
I think this is more of an adult mobile because it is clean and simple but I believe children need color especially because when they are babies they can only see contrast not color so black and white is best for infants.
There are some great ideas on HGTV's website including this one:  They used embroidery hoops too but drilled holes in it.   You could use this for any lightweight thing. Here are the instructions.





Martha Stewart has some great ideas too including another bird mobile made from paper.  She even give you the template and directions to make it yourself. 
This one is also from Martha Stewart.com it is made of ribbon and an embrodiery hoop.  I think this would be cool for a party hanging over the table.  Click here for directions.
This one from Martha Stewart is an example of a more adult mobile - but it would still be cute in babies room too.
Etsy is a great place to find new ideas, inspiration and to buy something awesome if you don't have time or want to make it yourself but want something unique and handmade.  If you haven't heard of etsy you NEED to check it out.  It is like eBay for crafters and you can find anything from unique artwork to stationary to dolls, jewerly, baby bedding and of course mobiles.
This one is from etsy seller mamax2 she will even custom make one in colors of your choice.
This one can also be custom made, it is from seller Criswell Creations
Etsy seller khamm75 sells ones like the Martha Stewart birds above and also has other versions like butterflies and the owls pictured above. 
This one is INSANE!  I love it.  It is by Jenny Makes Mobiles.  You can also buy kits from her site to make your own.  I love it when people do that.  It cuts down on the cost and you learn to do something new.  I could probably do something cool like this with my Cricut machine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment