Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What I did - furniture re-do

For any of my projects I am not sure about the way you are supposed to do them but I know the way I did them.

I had never painted furniture before - I wasn't sure the process or how hard is what going to be etc etc but really it is easy IF you have the right supplies.

1. The first thing I did is to take all the hardware off.
2. Then since I was doing this INSIDE my house I put an old sheet under the desk and table.
3. I had some sandpaper in my scrapbooking supplies - it was fine or very fine - my dad said it would work and it did. I sanded the entire desk. I was surprised that it went a lot faster then I thought it would and it was fun. I had the kids help- they LOVED it. It was a good way to get out aggression. I didn't sand it a ton but enough that it was a little rough so the paint would stay.


3b. I cleaned it with a wet rag and vacuumed it to get all the dust off. If there were any smooth spots I quickly sanded them.

4. Then I primed the desk. I actually found this primer in my garage from a previous owner - It said it was for wood. I doubt you have to use special primer but this is what I had on hand and I wanted to start RIGHT AWAY!
I took my time - primed it one night while the kids were asleep and painted it the next night
5. Finally the fun part! I got to select my paint and splash color all over that baby. I knew I wanted blue. I got Swim by Valspar at Lowes in high gloss. So fun. It went fast. I ended up doing two coats over the course of a couple of days.
6. Trip to Lowes to select my hardware - I got a grass pattern that will match one of my fabrics. The holes matched up where the old hardware was so I didn't have to putty the holes, sand and redrill. I have wood putty if anyone needs to borrow it...:)
7. Then I reassembled.
Ta da. Done. It sounds like a long process but it went really fast and like I said I didn't do it all at once but I was done in a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment